Child-Safe Gardening: Avoiding Poisonous Plants in Your Yard

Child Safe GardeningGardening season is nearly upon us, and if you have a green thumb, you’re probably dreaming of laying out your flowerbeds and containers. If you have young ones around, you may want to take a few precautions to eliminate the most poisonous plants from your landscaping, and practice child safe gardening.

If you think your child has ingested a poisonous plant, call the American Association of Poison Control Centers immediately at (800) 222.1222.

 The following is a partial list of poisonous plants you may want to avoid when cultivating this spring.

Boxwood: When ingested, boxwood may cause diarrhea, convulsions and respiratory failure.

Calla Lily: If eaten, calla lily causes swelling of the mouth, stomach pain, diarrhea and death.

Cyclamen: Causes convulsions and paralysis when eaten.

Daffodil: Causes digestive distress and convulsions and may be fatal if swallowed.

Dumbcane (Diffenbachia): These popular broad-leaf plants may cause oral swelling and irritation of the mouth. Severe swelling may be fatal.

Elephant Ear: Swallowing sap may lead to diarrhea, nausea, burning and swelling of the mouth and throat.

Hyacinth: Ingesting these flowers may cause diarrhea, vomiting and can cause death.

Iris: The leaves and blossoms of these common early-blooming flower may lead to vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and fever.

Larkspur: May cause upset stomach, can cause death.

Oleander: Affects digestive and circulatory system, and may be fatal.

Source: The National Poison Control Center