Whether you are a first-time parent or a seasoned professional, it’s always a good idea to brush up on your baby proofing knowledge. We want you and your children to be safe, so we put together a checklist of items for your house that you should do while baby proofing.
The Baby’s Room
- Keep diapering supplies out of reach of baby and toddlers.
- Keep loose blankets out of the crib. If you are worried about baby staying warm at night, dress them appropriately and consider using sleep sacks or wearable blankets.
- Avoid attaching pacifiers to the crib or to your baby with a string, as the baby can get tangled up when they are asleep.
- Latch any drawers, cupboards, and doors shut that are within reach of your child. Be sure to store any cleaning supplies in one of these latched or locked places. Keep glasses and dishware out of reach.
- Install oven or stove knob covers.
- Place knives and forks pointed side down in the dishwasher. When you are finished with the dishwasher, be sure you securely close it.
The Rest of the Home
- If you have stairs, be sure to place baby gates on both the top and bottom.
- Anchor your TV to the wall and keep cords out of reach.
- Place safety covers on all electrical outlets. Remember to unplug and store electric appliances that are not in use.
- Remove blinds with looped cords.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on each story of your home.
Following this simple checklist will help you keep your child safe which is a priority of Pediatric Urgent Care of Northern Colorado. We have extended hours because we know that injury and illness don’t abide by a 9-5 schedule.