How to Treat a Bee Sting Allergy

treat a bee sting allergy

Bzzzzz … sting! Some little ones get stung by a bee and it is over as fast as it started, but for others who are allergic, these stings are life-threatening. These yellow, fuzzy insects sitting on your child’s favorite flower can be dangerous, so it is very important to be prepared for sting treatment and what symptoms lead to a trip to Pediatric Urgent Care.

How to treat a bee sting:

  1. Remove the stinger as soon as possible. This will stop the spread of venom.
  2. Gently and carefully clean the area on the skin with water and soap. This will disinfect the area and prevent further infection.
  3. Apply an ice pack or cold, wet washcloth directly to the sting for a few minutes.
  4. Raise the infected area to reduce swelling.
  5. If your child gets stung inside the mouth, take her to a doctor immediately. The mouth may swell so much that airways may become closed .

Parents may not know their child is allergic to bees until after a sting occurred. Consult your doctor if your young one experiences any of the following symptoms:

  • Trouble breathing
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Swollen lips, tongue or face
  • Hives, flushed or pale skin
  • Stomach cramps
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Weak or rapid pulse
  • Dizziness or fainting
  • Rash or significant swelling around the sting

If your children deal with bee allergies, it is important for you to educate him or her on the severity of stings. Here are some tips for avoiding these pesky insects:

  • Wear shoes when playing outdoors.
  • Wear long pants and long sleeves if weather permitting

  • Stay far away from hives or nests.
  • Avoid wearing bright colors or floral patterns.
  • Cover food when eating outside.
  • Do not wear sweetly smelling perfume, lotions or hair products.

We hope that you never have to treat a bee sting, but when accidents occur, Pediatric Urgent Care is ready to get your little one back on their way!